Long Text field: How to Set up & Edit
The Long Text field is exactly as it says: it's a field to input long texts. Whether it's a detailed feedback, description, or even a pitch - this field gives your respondents a lot more space to fill in their content.1. Select your form
To add an Long Text Field to a form you need to login to MightyForms App, then:
- Select an existing form from your dashboard
- Create a new form from scratch
- Select one of the Templates
- or Transfer an existing Form
2. Drag & Drop the Long Text Field
You’ll find the Long Text Field in the builder’s Element toolbox. You can click on the + sign to simply add it to the bottom of your form. Or you can select, drag & drop the field anywhere you like in your form.
3. Edit Long Text Field
Make sure the Long Text Field you’ve added to your form is selected so that its unique Settings options show on the right corner of your Builder's dashboard.
Here you can edit:
- Status: Choose if you want this field to accept a user submission, only be visible to users or be invisible to users.
- Required: Check this box so that your user can't submit the form before filling this field.
- Show label: Check this box if you want your field label to show.
- Label: Describe the information you need from your user (name, street address, job position, etc).
- Description: You can add a more descriptive text here, it will show below the field in the published form.
- Placeholder: Some text that shows on your field until your user fills it in.
- Default Value: The text that will show on your field by default.
Plus Advanced Settings, that include:
- Rich Text: You can enable this option to allow respondents to paste formatted text, with different colors, sizes, etc.
- Tooltip text: Add a message to your users when they hover their cursor over the tooltip symbol.
- Field Key: Use this field key to pre-populate your online forms. Learn more.
Here's how some of these settings appear visually: